SNAP (Food Stamps) & WIC

What is SNAP?


SNAP is one of the first lines of defense against hunger in the United States. Previously known as food stamps, SNAP can help put healthy food on the table by providing monthly assistance to purchase food at authorized groceries, corner stores, and farmers’ markets.


Some helpful terms to know:


SNAP: stands for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, the new name for the food stamps program. “SNAP benefits” are the same thing as “food stamps”.


ACCESS Card: Benefits are provided monthly through an ACCESS card, similar to a debit or credit card. In Pennsylvania, this card is called an ACCESS card, but names of the card can vary from state to state. 


EBT: stands for Electronic Benefit Transfer. It’s the system the government uses to disburse benefits.


What should I know about the SNAP program in Pennsylvania?


  • For a single-person household, you can receive anywhere between $16 and $194 every month.


  • Receiving SNAP does not take benefits away from anybody else; anyone who is eligible and applies can participate. Refusing your SNAP benefits does not mean others will get them.


  • SNAP benefits can be used for grains, fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, dairy, seeds, and most other food items found in grocery stores.


  • Farmers’ markets often accept SNAP benefits, so you can purchase fresh, local produce using your benefits. Visit  the map to find farmers’ markets that accept SNAP. 


  • Over 470,000 Philadelphians receive SNAP, but there are estimated 180,000 people  who could qualify for benefits but don’t participate in the program.


Am I eligible?


Eligibility is based on household size, income, expenses, assets, and other factors. The guidelines below are subject to change annually in October.


SNAP Income Limits for Oct 2015 - Sept 2016

Find your household size. If your monthly income is less than the amount listed, you might be able to get SNAP.

        Household Size               *Monthly Income (before taxes)
1 person                               $1,570
2                               $2,125
3                               $2,680
4                               $3,234
5                               $3,789
6                               $4,344
Each extra person                              + $555

Note: *Higher income limits apply for seniors age 60 and over and those receiving SSI or SSD benefits.


The SNAP benefit amount also depends on monthly bills, such as rent or mortgage, property taxes, renter's or homeowner's insurance, and utilities.


You can also report other expenses like child care and child support. If you are 60 or older, or are receiving disability benefits (SSI or SSD), you can report your medical costs, like co-pays and out-of-pocket medicine payments.



Immigrant Eligibility:


  • Legal immigrants with a green card can receive SNAP benefits if they have lived in the country for 5 years or more.


  • Children: Documented immigrants under 18 are eligible regardless of how long they have been in the U.S. and regardless of their parents’ immigration status.


  • Certain non-citizens, such as refugees or asylees from certain countries, may also be eligible to receive benefits.


  • SNAP does NOT affect immigrant status.

Student Eligibility:


If a student is enrolled at least half-time at an “institution of higher learning” (based on school’s definition), they are ineligible unless they meet one or more of these EXCEPTIONS:


(1) Enrolled in Federal work-study

(2) Works 20+ hours a week

(3) Responsible for a dependent under age 13

(4) Over age 50

(5) Disabled (receiving SSI or SSD)


The rest of an ineligible student’s household may still be eligible for food stamps.


How do I apply for SNAP?


There are many ways to apply for SNAP. Review the options below and decide what works best for you and your schedule:


  1. Apply over the phone.

Residents of Philadelphia, Bucks, and Chester counties can call the Coalition Against Hunger to submit an application over the phone via the SNAP Hotline: 215-430-0556. Hotline counselors will submit a SNAP application for you over the phone and provide assistance throughout the application process.They can also help resolve problems with your application or SNAP case.


To apply for multiple benefits, including SNAP, TANF, LIHEAP, health insurance, and energy assistance, call BenePhilly: 844-848-4376.


2.  Apply in person at your local County Assistance Office.

If you don't know where your office is, call the SNAP Hotline: 215-430-0556 to find out.


3.  Apply online

 Use the COMPASS website to apply for benefits online at any time.


What documents will I need to apply?


Although it depends on your case, the County Assistance Office will generally ask for proof of ID, proof of residency, and proof of income (such as pay stubs for the past month).


What happens after I apply for SNAP?


You have 30 days from the day you apply to provide the documents that your County Assistance Office asks for. You can either mail, fax, or physically drop-off copies of the documents to the office. It’s recommended that you drop off or fax documents to the office, instead of sending them by mail, to ensure they arrive.


If you drop off documents at the office, be sure to ask for a receipt.


After submitting your application, the County Assistance Office will contact you for a telephone interview. The telephone interview is mandatory and must be completed before your application is approved.


The County Assistance Office has 30 days from the day you apply to approve or deny your application, unless you are eligible for expedited benefits (see below).


Can I receive benefits sooner than 30 days?


If you qualify for “expedited,” or emergency benefits, you will get your benefits within 5 calendar days. You may be eligible for expedited services if you meet ONE of the following criteria below:


  • Your monthly gross income is less than $150 and the value of total liquid resources is $100 or less.


  • Your monthly gross income and liquid resources are less than your monthly shelter expenses. (Shelter expenses include, rent or mortgage, property taxes, homeowner's insurance, and utilities costs)


  • Everyone in your SNAP household are migrant or seasonal farm workers who are destitute and have $100 or less in liquid resources (money in checking and savings account) and nothing else to live on.


How do I check on my application for SNAP?


If you have not heard from your County Assistance Office within three weeks, call the Department of Health and Human Services’ Customer Service Center (also known as the Change Center) at 215-560-7226.


What if I still need help getting SNAP or have additional questions?

Call the Coalition's SNAP (Food Stamp) Hotline: 215-430-0556 between 9am - 5pm, Mon-Fri. If you don't reach anyone the first time, please leave a message. On average, a hotline counselor will return your call in 1-2 days.


What is WIC?


The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, more popularly known as WIC, is a program that provides free supplemental foodshealth screeningsnutrition education, and breastfeeding support to low income pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk. All services are free.


How do I know if I qualify for WIC?


WIC serves the following Pennsylvania residents:


  • Pregnant women


  • Breastfeeding women, for up to one year postpartum


  • Women up to six months postpartum, who are not breastfeeding


  • Infants and children under five years old, including foster children


Residents must also meet WIC income guidelines, which is 185% of the poverty level set by the federal government and is based on household size.  Unborn babies are counted in the family size.  


They must also have a medical or nutritional risk, which is determined at the WIC certification appointment. There are many qualifying risks. Some examples include: anemia, underweight, overweight, premature baby, pregnancy complications.


You should also note that:


  • You can work and still get WIC


  • You can continue to get cash assistance or SNAP benefits while receiving WIC


  • You can get WIC if you are undocumented or not a citizen


What kinds of supplemental foods can I receive through WIC?


Checks provided by WIC can be used to purchase nutritious foods from any WIC authorized store. This may include: fruits and vegetables, whole grains, milk, soy milk, tofu, 100% fruit and/or vegetable juice, peanut butter, cheese, eggs, canned or dried beans, cereal, iron-fortified infant formula and cereal, jarred infant foods, canned fish, and special formulas when medically necessary.


What will the health screenings include?


WIC provides free health screenings to determine nutritional risk(s) and referrals to other health, social service, or community agencies that could help your family. A nutritional risk is any behavior associated with diet, growth, or medical diagnosis that might impact your nutritional status.


WIC staff screenings include:


  • Weighing and measuring you and your child to monitor growth and development

  • Identifying health and nutrition risks

  • Checking blood iron levels

  • Reviewing immunization records for children up to age two and referring them to a health care provider if needed.


What type of nutrition education will I receive?


WIC staff members provide nutrition education and services for participants and their families to learn how to choose nutritious foods to improve health. Some topics commonly discussed include the following:


  • Benefits and techniques of breastfeeding

  • Healthy food choices and portion control

  • Weaning baby to a cup

  • Introducing solids to the baby

  • The importance of iron in the diet

  • How to manage picky eaters


How do I apply for WIC?


To apply for the WIC program, schedule an appointment with your local WIC agency. There are multiple WIC offices in Philadelphia. To find an office near you, call 1-800-743-3300. Visit for more information.


Additional Resources:


Maternity Care Coalition

Provides baby formula and other services at eight MOMobile locations throughout the  region.  For more information, call 215-972-0700 or visit